Join this global art project aimed at protecting endangered animals

Aiming to connect educators and students through a global art project to raise awareness about senseless poaching of endangered animals.

For the last few years, I have been working on an interesting project that uses art to raise awareness of the plight of animals and the environment. I am an UAS art teacher and a facilitator of ideas for the art work. I spread awareness by organising interactive classroom sessions online with artists and conservationists. Mr Charles Summerfield, aka Rhinosaverz, is someone I work closely with and with whom I created the unique unit: Edu-conversation. He is a conservationist and musician, working tirelessly with foundations on the ground, to improve the welfare of endangered species. He is knowledgeable and inspirational. Together, we have already worked with schools in Peru, Ecuador, Argentina, Chile, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Uruguay, China and Japan.

Why are we doing this?

• To educate: a long-term but necessary requirement.
  • To raise awareness of the dire situations that are contributing to the extinction of wildlife.  
  • To support the foundations on the ground by raising the funds they need. It is imperative to meet their immediate and direct needs as the last line of defence between our animals and their total extinction.
  • To enhance the proactive protection and conservation of our environment.
  • To help and assist local communities to protect the animals and habitats that they live in close proximity to, and to offer them the possibility of career opportunities.
  • To try to ensure that the current rate of extinction of all animals and plants in our environment is stopped.
  • To develop a lifestyle that is natural and organic, which flows with nature and does not fight against it.
  • To educate children through various disciplines and give them a voice and a channel to make a difference: their art can be sold, their voices can be heard and they can fundraise.
  • To research current key conservation issues and respond to them.
  • To enable children to become active from their current location.
  • To improve the children’s communicative skill sets, teaching them music and language, as well as enhancing their motor skills through their participation in the course.
Education – Awareness – Facilitation

How can you get involved?
  • Take a look at this resource.
  • Message Tendai, who will arrange for Charles to talk to your students when it suits you. There is even a possibility that the Rhinosaverz team will be in the field at the time of the Skype.
  • Formulate questions for Charles with your students.
  • Give them definite calls to action. For example: follow Rhinosaverz; get more people involved, including parents, peers, other schools in their locations.
  • Send us the artistic representations your students make, e.g. puzzle pieces.
  • Formulate a plan with your classes or school to raise funds and make a donation to Rhinosaverz, or to the foundations they work with on the ground.