Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

Blog > Real Lives > Open Auditions! Patricia Nesbitt casts for Drama enthusiasts!

Open Auditions! Patricia Nesbitt casts for Drama enthusiasts!

Do you want to be part of creating a global movement? Patricia Nesbitt's love for Drama has encouraged her students to set up their own theatre company. Read more to see how you can be part of it.

Noire Youth Theatre Company
Noire Youth Theatre Company
19 Jun 2019
Written by Patricia Nesbitt
Real Lives

I wish everyone could visit my country, Bermuda.  It’s a land full of beauty and full of creatives, and loving people.  For me, Drama is my life.  As a professional playwright, theatre producer and director who works as a drama teacher for grades 9 through 11 year old students, I am currently living my best life and here’s why. 

Two years ago I challenged all of my GCSE Drama students to become published writers with a task of writing a monologue or poem they could use as an audition piece inspired by a poem from the book Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur.  The name of their production was “Loud Souls.” 

This work helped them to understand how a devised work can become something bigger than they could imagine. 

When it came to performing, the audience was moved by the honesty of the original work that came from the students as well as their professionalism and gave excellent critiques at the end of the performance. 

After the production being such a success, these students then decided that they would create a Theatre Company called “Noire Youth Theatre Company.”  They chose this name because their classes were held in the Black Box Theatre located in the school’s Arts Department, which is housed in The Ruth Seaton James Center for Performing Arts, Bermuda’s only performing arts center. 

Today, they are the administrators and managers of the company, and yes, they still attend CedarBridge Academy as High School students.  All of the members have the opportunity to work in performance, technical theatre and theatre management, and they are supported by their parents or a caring adult.  The biggest deal is that Noire Youth Theatre Company just acquired their charity status and can now solicit for funding.

The dream of the founding students was to host a “Loud Souls” event in Bermuda in May of 2021, with the idea that they would like to host students from countries around the world who would like to exhibit their talent in writing poetry and monologues for performance as well as music and singing.

What’s in it for them? 

They all can be published writers! 

All pieces would be performed by students at this event. So far meeting the needs of the students and parents, and engaging an audience has been a huge success.  The students have performed in several parts of our island at different events.  As their company director I assist wherever I am required, and I support them every step of the way along with their parents.  Our Black Box Theatre has become the space where students of diverse backgrounds can come to create in a safe space, and perform for the public. 

I would love to converse with teachers from around the world that would like the opportunity to collaborate on creating a global movement, and then having an event hosted here in Bermuda, and then have other countries host a Loud Souls event in the future.  Students should be between 13 and 18 years old.

I believe that the voices of teens are not heard enough.  These ideas would give their voice power by their gaining the opportunity to be heard, and seen through video.  What a beautiful thought – teens from around the world collaborating through drama.

As we begin to vacation and regroup for the summer, please email me at both addresses:  pnesbitt@cedarbridge.doe.bm and patricia.nesbitt@gmail.com

Do you want a space for Drama on the community? Let us know in the comments or alternitively email catherine.wilson@pearson.com if you would like a Drama group to be set up!

Similar stories

Ask the Expert: IB Diploma Maths Q&A

Following on from our webinar with one of the lead authors of our new IB Diploma Maths textbooks, Ibrahim Wazir, we share his answers to your questions about the new courses. More...

Interview with Aimee Fenneman: Multilingual success in your school competition runner up!

The second in the series of blog posts from winners of the “Multilingual success in your school” competition! 3rd pl… More...

Metacognition: Why we should all care

Oliver Omotto shares his reflections and best practice in developing metacognitive practices and strategies to promote h… More...

Interview with Marta Ripolles: Multilingual success in your school competition runner up!

The first in the series of blog posts from winners of the “Multilingual success in your school” competition! 2nd pla… More...

International Schools Broaden Their Horizons

Four in five children at international schools are from local families, rather than expatriates. How can teachers cater … More...

Most read

Should smartphones be banned in schools? The big debate

Are mobile phones in schools a distraction or can they be beneficial to students? More...

Open learning for the future

Dr John Taylor is Director of Learning, Teaching and Innovation at Cranleigh School. In this blog post he discusses why … More...

Utilising Extended Projects to release the power of deeper learning

In his second blog post, Dr John Taylor discusses the power of Extended Projects in forming deeper thinkers with the ski… More...

International School Leaders Conference 2019: Download the slide decks

We're delighted that so many of you could join us at our second Pearson International School Leaders Conference. In this… More...

Teaching children with autism: Strategies for the international school classroom

We spoke to autism expert Stacey Melifonwu to find out more about autism spectrum disorder and what strategies you can e… More...

This website is powered by
ToucanTech